Working in the Chicago Loop for over a decade, I have been a frequent visitor to Caffé RōM for its hand-crafted coffees, house made pastries, artisan sandwiches, and decadent gelato. Comfortable, lively, and convivial, I often conduct casual meetings at Caffé RōM, which captures the essence of a Modern Italian caffé found typically in the urban centers of Milano, Firenze and Roma, where the coffee bar is a place you visit several times throughout the day.
I recently visited Caffé RōM for a quick lunch with my sister. Service was friendly and efficient, and we were sitting and enjoying our lunches in no time. Melissa ordered the Pollo – RōM’s legendary handmade Chicken Salad, vine-ripened tomatoes and arugula served on a croissant. She found the flavors to be bright and the chicken well made, and the croissant to be buttery, flaky, and the perfect vehicle to hold the chicken salad together.
I selected the marinated portobello salad, with artichokes, olives, roasted red peppers, pepperoncinis, and Italian cheese, all atop a bed of romaine lettuce. It was fresh, satisfying, and flavorful.
Caffè RōM celebrated their 10th Anniversary in May in which they kicked off a yearlong lineup of specials. For June, from now through Friday, July 3, guests who stop in after 2 p.m. and order any gelato can upgrade to an affogato (espresso over gelato) for free. Rotating gelato flavors are handcrafted in-house by head pastry chef, Ryan Bockenfeld.
Additionally, in celebration of ten successful years of business, Caffè RōM has updated their signature sandwich menu with four new additions including the following:
– Calabria, $8.75
Baked chicken breast, marinated grilled vegetables, fennel, capers, olives, chili flake and olive oil
– Romelio, $8.65
Shaved turkey breast, Italiana quattro formaggi, roasted red pepper, basil leaf, olive oil
– Fico, $9.45
Prosciutto, house made fig preserve, Italiana quattro formaggi, mixed field greens and balsamic reduction (pressed)
– Rotolo, $6.45
Seasonal wrap featuring sautéed Portobello mushrooms, goat cheese spread, fresh basil, arugula, and soy ginger sauce (pressed)
Caffè RōM will also hold a #10YearsOfRoM Instagram photo contest in which guests are invited to hashtag their favorite memories and photos of their RōM-an experiences. The winning photo will be chosen in August and receive an anniversary edition RōM logo Timbuk2 bag.
CALENDAR OF ANNIVERSARY PROMOTIONS:
- 12-ounce bags of Caffè RōM’s 10th Anniversary limited edition “Dieci Ann” coffee blend is available for purchase.
- Monday, June 1 through Friday, July 3: Guests who stop in after 2 p.m. and order any gelato can upgrade to an affogato (espresso over gelato) for free.
- Monday, July 6 through Sunday, August 9: Seasonal drink special: Iced Whipped Cappuccino Freddo
- Commencing Monday, July 13 (Prudential location only): Weekly live music events during the lunch hour. The lineup of artists will include Abbi Rajasekar and Brandon Cunningham.
- Commencing Saturday, August 15 In celebration of the Ferragosto holiday in Italy, Caffè RōM will feature two special granitas: Sicilian Lemon and Blood Orange.
- In September, Caffè RōM will begin offering a Chicago anniversary edition JoJo Special Sandwich (locally cured prosciutto, locally grown CSI tomatoes and basil, naturally leavened bread baked by the Erkenswick brothers and locally sourced mozzarella).
Hyatt Center, 71 South Franklin Street, Chicago, IL 60606 (open 6 a.m. – 6 p.m.)
Prudential Building, 180 North Stetson Avenue, Chicago, IL 60601 (open 6:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. M-Th, 6:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. F)
Shoreham, 400 East South Water Street, Chicago, IL 60601 (open 6 a.m. – 5 p.m. M-F; 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. Sa-Su)
While my meal was complimentary, all opinions expressed herein are my own.